After looking through many recipes, we wanted to share something with you that would be quick, yet full of rich flavors and of course healthy! Here is what we found…
Chicken Piccata with Pasta and Mushrooms
Recipe provided by EatingWell.com
- Serving Size: 4
- Active/Total Time: 40 minutes
- 6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets, (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until just tender. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a small dish. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place the chicken on a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, capers, butter and the reserved mushrooms. Measure out 1/2 cup of the mushroom sauce. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken and the reserved sauce.
Why It is Healthy
- 397 calories
- 9 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono )
- 54 mg cholesterol
- 45 g carbohydrates
- 0 g added sugars
- 28 g protein
- 5 g fiber
- 544 mg sodium
- 609 mg potassium
- Selenium (37% daily value)
- Vitamin C (18% dv)
- Potassium (17% dv)
- Iron (16% dv)
- 2 1/2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable
- 3 1/2 lean meat
Learn how to shop smart for your fruits and veggies this Fall season at local Farmers Markets!
- Missouri: http://www.visitmo.com/southwest-missouri/farmers-market.aspx
- Arkansas: http://www.ozarkslowfood.org/northwest-arkansas-farmers-markets/
We would love your feedback if you happen to try out this recipe!